China should restrain its forces from committing any «acts of provocation,» the Philippine military said on Monday, after Manila accused China’s coast guard of using a laser to try to disrupt a resupply mission for its troops in the South China Sea.

The Philippine coast guard said its vessel was assisting a navy mission to deliver food and supplies to troops stationed on an atoll in the disputed waterway on February 6 when a Chinese coast guard ship led a » military grade laser» at the ship temporarily blinding it. her crew on the bridge.

“I think it is time for the Chinese government to contain its forces so that it does not commit any provocative act that endangers people’s lives,” military spokesman Medel Aguilar told reporters.

Aguilar also quoted the Philippine defense chief as saying the Chinese coast guard’s action was «offensive» and «unsafe.»

The incident took place at Second Thomas Shoal, 105 nautical miles (195 km) from the Philippine province of Palawan, which is the temporary home of a small military contingent aboard a rusty boat.

The 330-foot World War II ship was intentionally beached on the shoal, known locally as Ayungin, in 1999 to bolster Manila’s claims to sovereignty in the Spratly archipelago.

Footage from Feb. 6 shows a Chinese Coast Guard ship focusing a «military-grade laser light» on a Philippine Coast Guard ship in the disputed South China Sea.Philippine Coast Guard / AFP – Getty Images

«The deliberate blockade of Philippine government ships to deliver food and supplies to our military personnel…is flagrant disregard and a clear violation of the sovereign rights of the Philippines,» the PCG said in a statement.

Images provided by the Philippines showed a green light emanating from a Chinese ship with the bow number 5205.

The Chinese embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment. China said it was ready to handle maritime affairs «cordially» with the Philippines during President Ferdinand Marcos Jr’s visit to Beijing in January.

Marcos’ office declined to comment, referring reporters to PCG’s statement.

It is not the first time that China has been accused of using lasers in the region.

In February last year, Australia accused Beijing of an «act of intimidation» after a Chinese navy ship directed a laser at an Australian military surveillance plane.

The reported offer to block the Philippine resupply mission comes as Marcos has expressed his willingness to forge a Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with Japan to boost maritime security.

Marcos visited Japan last week to forge closer security ties with Tokyo, which in December announced its biggest military buildup since World War II, fueled by concerns about aggressive Chinese moves in the region.

The Philippine president also recently granted the United States access to additional military bases in the Philippines under a VFA, a move China says undermined regional stability and heightened tensions. The VFA provides rules for the rotation of thousands of US troops in and out of the Philippines for exercises.