Republican lawmakers Sen. Rick Scott and Sen. Marco Rubio sent a letter to the president on Friday, urging the Biden administration to award the 22-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic a waiver to enter the US for the Miami Open later this month, despite his vaccination status.
The letter addressed to President Biden calls the current immunization mandate for international travel that prohibits non-citizens from entering the country without proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
Djokovic, who did not compete in the US Open last year, he has made public his decision not to get vaccinated.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC ASKS FOR PERMISSION TO ENTER TOURNAMENTS DUE TO VACCINE STATUS: ‘NOT IN MY HANDS’
«It has been brought to our attention that your administration has received a request for a waiver of the current vaccination mandate for international travelers entering the United States from men’s tennis player Novak Djokovic,» the letter began.
«We are writing to urge you to grant the requested waiver, which is necessary to allow Mr. Djokovic to compete in the Miami Open professional tennis tournament to be held in our home state of Florida beginning March 19, 2023».
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Djokovic told reporters last month that he had applied for special permission to enter the United States to compete at the Indian Wells tournament in California starting March 6 and the Miami Open on March 19.
«Everything is in the works. I am grateful to the communities of Indian Wells and Miami for their support. They would like me to be able to play in their tournaments. . . I am looking forward to a positive decision coming soon, but it is not in my hands,» he said at the time.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Rubio and Scott’s letter cites the president’s comments during a «60 Minutes» interview in September that «the pandemic is over» and comments by Dr. Anthony Fauci about the vaccine’s efficacy as reason enough to grant a waiver. to Djokovic.
«Mr. Djokovic is a world-class athlete in peak physical condition who is not at high risk of serious complications from COVID-19. It seems both illogical and out of line with the views of his own administration not to grant him the exemption he requests. so that I can travel to the United States to compete in a professional event.»
He continued: «The lack of risk to public health, coupled with the clear benefit of your participation in an event that will be a significant boost to our local economies, should make the decision before you simple and serve as a precedent for others in your position». while it is hoped that it will lead to the full reversal of this mandate for other foreign visitors who wish to legally travel to our great nation.»
Fox News’ Joe Morgan contributed to this report.